Healthy Holiday Recipes: Mini Mexican Flatbreads with Gazpacho Shooters

Hi everyone! My name is Katie, and I blog over at Ruffles & Truffles! I’m a girl who loves fashion, food and a great cocktail. I have a passion for living a healthy lifestyle without sacrificing fun in life OR breaking the bank. Today, I am so thrilled to start sharing some recipes and ideas with Flatout Bread for this holiday season!

These recipes call for: Flatout HungryGirl Foldit Sliders in Classic White

One thing that comes to mind when I think about the holidays is a lot of decadent eating. Between cookies, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie, I can really start to feel weighed down. So when I am hosting a holiday party, I like to keep some items light and fresh! Serving these mini Mexican flatbreads with gazpacho shooters is such a great contrast to some of the heavier holiday fare: they’re practically guilt-free…plus you’re eating your veggies!

Mini Mexican Flatbreads

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place Flatout HungryGirl Foldit Sliders on a cutting board: separate the sliders, then cut each of them in half to create circular discs. Place cut slider discs on a nonstick baking sheet (or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper). Spoon a small scoop of salsa on each flatbread disc, followed by a sprinkle of queso fresco. Top each flatbread with a slice of fresh tomato.

Bake flatbreads for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Using a spatula, place flatbreads on a serving platter. Garnish each with 1-3 leaves of cilantro.

Gazpacho Shooters

• 1 clove garlic, peeled
  • 1/4 cup onion
  • 1/2 cup celery
  • 1/2 cup cucumber
  • 1/2 cup green pepper
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 2 tsp chives
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cups tomato juice

In a food processor (or blender), add garlic and onion. Pulse 3-4 times. Add celery, cucumber and green pepper. Pulse to chop vegetables another 5-6 times. Add chopped tomatoes, chives, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, Worcestershire and tomato juice. Pulse soup until you reach the desired consistency. Pour gazpacho into a sealed container and refrigerate at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Serve with a garnish of fresh chives.

We’d love to hear your fresh perspective!

• Do you balance heavy and light foods at your holiday parties?

, , , , ,

28 Responses to Healthy Holiday Recipes: Mini Mexican Flatbreads with Gazpacho Shooters

1. Amber November 15, 2011 at 10:35 am #

I would never have thought of something like this for holiday appetizers, but it looks so… appetizing! 😉 Might bring this to my mom’s place for our day-after Thanksgiving. :)

2. Carla / Mrs. Meerkat (@TechSavvyWife) November 15, 2011 at 10:42 am #

That looks amazing!!!! Do I really have to wait until the holidays to make it? 😉

3. Meg November 15, 2011 at 10:56 am #

I’d have that any time! It looks so good!

4. Wendy November 15, 2011 at 11:13 am #

Looks delicious. Can’t wait to try this recipe.

5. Mina November 15, 2011 at 11:15 am #

great party food ideas! and they look so tasty, nobody will miss the heavy calorie-laden stuff (not that i am against those)!

6. Karisa November 15, 2011 at 11:25 am #

That sounds so delicious! Bookmarking this page for the upcoming holiday party season, thanks!

7. Ali @ His Birdie's Nest November 15, 2011 at 11:27 am #

These look and sound delicious! I love Gazpacho, but haven’t found a recipe I really like. I cannot wait to give yours a try :)

8. Jennifer (@JLoBug) November 15, 2011 at 11:36 am #

Good job, Katie! Looks delicious!

9. The Redheaded Actress November 15, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Yum, that sounds delish!

10. Natalie November 15, 2011 at 11:59 am #

Um, it’s like you have your own cooking show. so fun. They sound yummy!

11. Laura November 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm #

HELLO!! these look amazing, can’t wait to whip some up! Great work.

12. Tanya November 15, 2011 at 12:39 pm #

This all looks so good and “do-able” for us simple cooks. I love flatout products so I’m excited to have another recipe to try. Thanks!

13. Bonnie November 15, 2011 at 12:48 pm #

These recipes look delicious! Im searching for some more Mexican recipes because there are no Mexican retaurants here, and my husband gets cravings. Thanks!

14. holly | bijou lovely November 15, 2011 at 1:35 pm #

What a cute appetizer for a holiday party! Love those little gazpacho shooters!

15. Darcy November 15, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

Sounds delicious and I love the presentation. Just went to the store to get the ingredients having company this weekend. The mini Mexican flatbread is on my menu!

16. Karen November 15, 2011 at 7:06 pm #

Yum! Cannot wait to try these.

17. Brett Thomason November 15, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

Wow. This is awesome! I love Mexican Food. Great job!!

18. Jessica November 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

It’s so refreshing to see a healthy holiday treat! And what’s more of a crowd pleaser than Mexican?! The gazpacho shooters are adorable- great for New Years Eve!

19. The So-Called Wife November 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm #

These looks so yummy!

20. Kira@hernewleaf November 16, 2011 at 1:41 am #

I never could really get into gazpacho (it’s like soup, but cold?) but that sounds yummy! I will have to try!

21. Jessica Lynn November 16, 2011 at 5:11 am #

YUM! Now i just need to find some of those flatbreads. Unfortunately, I don’t think they sell them at the commissary out here. Maybe I can order them online.

22. Marilyn November 16, 2011 at 7:32 pm #

Those look absolutely delicious – great presentation – Gotta go look for those flatbreads!

23. Sherry November 17, 2011 at 9:31 am #

This looks so good. What a great presentation! I am going to make this tonight. Yum!!

24. Holly November 17, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Wow, I will have to look for those in the grocery store. I did not even know they existed. Thanks Katie!

25. Barb Hosler Olsen November 17, 2011 at 7:18 pm #

Your Grandma told me to check this out…looks and sound so good!

26. Brit @ Landlocked Bride November 20, 2011 at 1:28 am #

These look delish! And, easy – I have some of these ingredients already in my fridge, which makes me happy!

1. Flatout Healthy Holidays! | She likes ruffles, he likes truffles - November 15, 2011

[…] if you would be so kind: head over to the Flatout Fresh blog and check it out! Oh, and feel free to leave me a little love…pretty […]

2. Three Weeks of Flatout Happy, Healthy Holiday Recipes and Tips! « Flatout Fresh - December 5, 2011

[…] Tuesday: Mini Mexican Flatbreads with Gazpacho Shooters […]