Healthy Back-to-School Lunch Options: Tuscan Tuna Wrap

Healthy Back-to-School Lunch Options: Tuscan Tuna Wrap

Flatout Foodie Logo

The final video in this week’s healthy lunch bunch comes from Lara and is aptly titled, “Fun With My Foodie.” We fully support teaching kids how to experience and enjoy all the exquisite flavors that healthy food options have to offer and are thrilled that Lara’s daughter Kaytie shared her passion with us!

Lunch Menu Day 5

I have to tell you that I was over the moon when Flatout contacted me about this project (maybe not so thrilled about the video aspect though, ha ha). You see we’ve been big fans here at Casa DiPaola for a while. I always feel like I’m pulling one over on the kids when they nosh away on Flatout thinking it’s “their” kind of food when it’s really “healthy mom junk.” Score one for mom!

With four kids I’m not only slightly – okay really – frazzled most days but I’m also outnumbered and busy as heck. So how do I find time to blog?

Fast and easy meals using Flatout products help, though I don’t think it’s as much a matter of finding time as it’s an issue of preserving what little sanity I have. Like I say over at “The Nuggets,” blogging is cheaper than therapy. Stop by sometime there’s always room on the couch!

***

Tuscan Tuna Wrap

• 2 oz Albacore tuna (drained)
  • 1 leaf lettuce (your choice)
  • 1 tsp roasted red peppers (chopped)
  • 1 tsp low fat shredded Italian cheese mixture (which did NOT make it into the video)
  • 1 wedge Laughing Cow lite cheese
  • 2-4 grape tomatoes (diced) really any tomato works
  • 1 slice of FlatOut Italian Herb bread

Couscous Salad

• 1 cup instant couscous prepared according to directions and cooled
  • 1/4 cup cucumber (diced)
  • 1/4 cup raisins (dried cranberries, cherries and/or blueberries work wonderfully too!)
  • 1/4 dried apricots (chopped)
  • 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
  • 1 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Like my aprons? (You’ll see FOUR more!) I support women artisans by shopping on Etsy. The aprons were custom designed to match the personality of each of my kids by Laura Childs of Childs Play Designs. The “Kaytie” themed apron features sneakers, bows, skulls and crossbones…all part of her “vibe.”

Bon appetit!

***

We’d love to hear your fresh perspective!

• Do you have a child who is a “foodie” in the making? What do they like to eat?

, , , ,

10 Responses to Healthy Back-to-School Lunch Options: Tuscan Tuna Wrap

1. Ri, The Music Savvy Mom September 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm #

Way to go, Kaytie! Omigosh, your recipes sound SO good! I think I’ll try that Tuscan Tuna Wrap myself soon – yum!

Great job!

2. laura September 17, 2010 at 2:28 pm #

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I’m beyond school age but I’ll be packing that lunch for me tomorrow. Both of you foodies look great too & I’m on my way to buy some Flatout bread!

3. Jennifer (Savor) September 17, 2010 at 9:05 pm #

Love how cool with a knife your daughter is – prbably best if mom is not handling knives right?

4. Mary September 18, 2010 at 8:00 am #

Kaytie-good job! You and your mom looked like you were having a great time. I love the recipe. I never thought about using Laughing Cow as a spread on a roll up. Definitely something I will have to try.

5. Cindy September 18, 2010 at 8:35 am #

WOW Kaytie, don’t even think you need mom’s help. Makaylah & I checked this out together & we’re thinking this would be a great Come to Tea idea. We love to have these tea parties for her mom, Gmas & Great Gmas, Something that will really need to be thrown into the party to mix it up a bit. Definitely will try the water idea too! I’m, oops sorry we’re very proud of you & you both look great.

6. Melisa September 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm #

GREAT JOB!
    My younger son is also a pro in the kitchen: it’s so great when kids love to help fix the food!

(extra points to the both of you for the matching blue in your outfits. 😉 )

7. Carolyn September 20, 2010 at 10:43 am #

I think this is great, KK did amazing. Having one kid that will try everything and another I can’t get away from Chicken Nuggets I am excited about trying both of the recipes to see which one likes it the most. Thanks for the great idea

8. Mariana September 20, 2010 at 9:36 pm #

KK! You need to come teach me a thing or two 🙂 Love you gals, you’re looking great! (Oh, and I’m hungry now, thanks lol)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Healthy Back-to-School Lunch Options: Full Week One Menu + Shopping List « Flatout Fresh - September 18, 2010

[…] Tuscan Tuna Wrap […]

2. A Month of Healthy Back-To-School Lunch Menus + Grocery Lists « Flatout Fresh - October 10, 2010

[…] Friday: Tuscan Tuna Wrap […]