Autumn is my favorite time of the year. Not only is the weather terrific, but the season’s food and foliage is flatout fabulous. Below is a checklist of this season’s must-dos:
- Take advantage of the foliage. Whether you’re taking a picture with friends or family outdoors, or you’re just taking a moment to look around, take it all in. The landscape is beautiful during this season, and what better time to appreciate life’s simple pleasures? Soak it up! Winter will be here before we know it.
- Carve a pumpkin. Carve a pumpkin with your kids, your neighbors, your family, your friends…anyone! It is a fun autumn activity that will most definitely keep you entertained.
- Go apple picking. Get a group together and find an orchard near you. Not only is it a fun activity, but you’ll also have delicious apples to take home!
- Get creative with those apples. Apples are wonderful for cooking and baking or just eating whole. Apples are full of fiber and other nutrients and are extremely filling. Cook with apples, snack on apples, bake with apples and drink cider! There’s no better time to enjoy them than when they are at their freshest.
- And while you’re at it, just enjoy eating all the in-season fruits and vegetables. A few of my favorites are: apples (obviously!), beets, bell peppers, broccoli, cranberries, green beans, pears, pumpkin, yams and zucchini. Cook and bake with as many as possible.
- Take a brisk walk. With your friends or with your dog, or even by yourself, walk outdoors. This is the only time when the weather is warm enough to be comfortable for walking yet cool enough where you aren’t sweating. Put on your shades and a lightweight coat, and enjoy!
- Go to a football game. Football in fall makes a great day activity. A fall football game with a fun crowd of fans is always exciting, even when you’re not a huge fan of the sport itself.
- Exercise outdoors. Until it starts snowing, you don’t always have to rely on the gym for a good workout. Keep your routine outdoors for as long as you can.
- BBQ. We’re nuts about the grilled fruit, veggie and lean protein options during the summer. Keep grillin’ while the sun is still out and the temperature is still enjoyable.
- Dress the part. Flannels, cowboy boots, suede, lightweight coats, sweaters… enjoy autumn fashion to the fullest!
We’d love to hear your fresh perspective!
- What makes you most excited about the fall season?